As parents, we know that children must be healthy and feel well to concentrate on learning. When we send our children off to school for the day, it is important to know that their health needs will be met. At Mpeketoni Boys, the school nurse ERASTUS NTONDWE, addresses the physical, mental, emotional, and social health of children with the ultimate goal being to support student success in the learning process.
In addition, the school nurse promotes and maintains optimal student health by:
1. Providing first aid and arranging for assessment and assistance to a student who becomes ill or injured at school or is demonstrating a significant change in behavior, whether due to a physical or social/ emotional cause.
2. Communicating with parents/ guardians when further medical care or attention may be needed, and making referrals as appropriate
3. Supporting the health curriculum by teaching health lessons to students and/ or serving as a resource to classroom teachers
4. Educating the school staff about health matters that affect students and/ or staff
5. Collaborating with other school professionals, parents/ guardians and the student’s health care team, as needed to foster maximal student success
6. Providing health counseling to students as needed on an ongoing basis
The school nurse works closely with the school social worker to address a student’s social-emotional as well as physical health needs. If a student complains of a headache or stomach ache that seems to be caused by worry, stress or another emotional cause, the school nurse may refer the child to the school social worker.
Values are related to our emotions, just as we practice physical hygiene to preserve our physical health, we need to observe emotional hygiene to preserve a healthy mind and attitudes
Mr. ERASTUS NTONDWE
Mpeketoni Boys High School.